8 Healthy Shopping Tips
For many of us, shopping for groceries can be nothing but stress. Deciding what to cook for the week, how much to buy and what the best options for us can be overwhelming and frustrating. Healthy eating is easier if you plan what you buy. We are the sum of our choices and it comes down to the food choices we make at the supermarket.
Here are some tips to help you make healthy food choices when shopping;
- Avoid shopping on an empty stomach – All that is on your mind is food and you will tend to grab whatever is on your mind.
- Make a list - Before you go food shopping, plan your meals for the week.
- Choose the low-fat option - For example, select low-fat milk, cheese, yogurt and salad dressings.
- Buy leaner cuts of meat - If unsure, look for the Heart Foundation tick of approval.
- Skinless chicken- Chicken skin contains loads of calories and saturated fat, so skinless chicken breasts are a healthier choice.
- Cut back on processed meats - Limit your consumption of salami, ham, corned beef, bacon, smoked salmon, sausages etc.
- Purchase fresh or frozen vegetables - Canned and pickled vegetables tend to be high in added salt.
- Read the ingredients, not just the nutritional label - The fewer ingredients, the better. If you apply that general concept to grocery shopping, you’re automatically starting at a healthier place due to overall elimination of the added sugars, fats, and preservatives as you will be focusing on the most wholesome version of the food.
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.
Take control of your life, rock on!
Till next month, Evie xx